Sunday, December 4, 2011

Kajillion, WHAT?

So for some funny news, Cain appeared on national television giving a speech about his resignation… sorry, what I meant was suspension * (aka, it’s over) as a Republican presidential candidate and used the word “KAJILLION”. What he said was, “I didn’t fit the usual description of somebody that ought to be running for president. I had never held public office before. I didn’t have high name I.D., and I didn’t have a KAJILLION dollars.” Right, and he also doesn’t have what it takes to give a formal speech where the non-existent word “kajillion” is used. I just thought that was completely ridiculous and a bit disturbing because it’s national television.

I can imagine how the outside world perceives America after watching this man that was once a respected presidential candidate (for some). This “kajillion” ordeal was trending so much on my twitter newsfeed that I don’t think he’ll hear the end of it for a while. It’s about time that he back off because I’m also getting tired of talking about him and hearing other people or (myself) mistakenly refer to him as “McCain” instead of “Cain”… and then getting confused.

So let’s talk a little bit about Cain’s suspension of his campaign. It’s been quite obvious that his numbers in the polls have fallen drastically over the course of the last few months and Cain is no stranger to that. In fact, David Goldstein of The Nation of Change writes, “a new De Moines Register poll showed that Cain’s support in Iowa, where the first voting of the election season will take place Jan. 3, had dwindled to just 8 percent down from 23 percent a month ago, when he briefly led the pack.” On Saturday he stated,"I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distraction, the continued hurt caused on me and my family not because we are not fighters, not because I'm not a fighter.”

Goldstein writes, “His decision likely caused the party hierarchy to relax a little as well. Cain’s personal drama had become a distraction, drawing attention away from the rest of the GOP field. Many in the Republican establishment also never thought Cain was a serious candidate to begin with, despite his ability to draw up support. He had little in the way of ground organization in key early states, and his travel scheduled sometimes seemed to indicate more of an interest in selling his book than his candidacy.”

Although I do have to agree that yes, Cain’s allegations were a major distraction, I think that it was a positive thing for the other candidates. His allegations resulted in more positive perceptions of the rest of the candidates. At this point it had become, “anyone but Cain”. He’s pretty much gone now, so I guess we can get back to some REAL politics.

Cain’s last straw was the allegations made by Ginger White, about their alleged 13-year affair, in which she stated he even gave her money. Situations like this make me really question America’s politics. We take “political correctness” to the next level. IF (not saying he is) Cain were a serious politician with real potential to be our next leader, why should this frenzy on the media create such a huge wedge between the people and him? Those are very personal things that should be taken care of on a personal level between him and his family.

http://www.nationofchange.org/cain-ends-embattled-campaign-saying-he-s-peace-1323011546

No comments:

Post a Comment