Sunday, October 30, 2011

Funny guy campaign


Cheers to Steve Berke. Here’s this young 30 something year old that is running for mayor of Miami, but he isn’t just the ordinary candidate, he’s the extraordinary candidate. When I read an article about him in the New York Times (posted below), I thought about a specific conversation I had in my political science class: Road to The White house. We had discussed a president’s personality and what we look for in a man running our country. Some said they would rather have a more stern and serious president, while others disagreed and wanted someone they can relate to and connect with, someone with personality and a certain quirkiness, and of course the ability to be president ( whatever that means).


Although Berke isn’t running for president, he is running for a rather serious role, but his attitude, maybe not so serious. In the video posed up top, we get a certain vibe from this man and without a doubt he’s funny, outgoing, charming, and last but not least, a young bachelor. I watched the video and found it hilarious-he had me, almost. He describes everything anyone my age desires and is accustomed to or at least would want to be accustomed to. He’s got that edge to him that makes it hard to dislike him, and that’s hard to dismiss.

When looking at this guy, I absolutely love him, but I would probably just want to hang out with him not exactly look up to him as the mayor of Miami. I’m not about the whole “political correctness” thing but I feel as though the line has to be drawn somewhere because humor is a wonderful thing, but politics are a serious matter. It is a matter of being able to take someone seriously or not. It is hard to take this guy seriously and after all, he IS a comedian. Oh, and I think I failed to mention that he isn’t part of the Democratic party nor the Republican party, which is fine… but he has developed his own political party called the “After party”. It speaks for itself.

So where exactly can we find this guy? Lisette Alvarez of The New York Times writes:



MIAMI BEACH — wearing a black suit and tie with neon-pink laces on his kicks, the man in the video struggles up Ocean Drive, past the Art Deco hotels and the hangovers they house. He pulls a trolley freighted with two voting machines — the ones that hung those chads long ago and made election infamy. “Easy come, easy go, time for me to say hello,” he sings soulfully into the camera in a parody of Bruno Mars’s video “Grenade.” “My name is Steve Berke, and I am running to be mayor, yo. Is he real? Do you know? Is he one big joke? I can promise you it’s real.”

Fortunately for Steve, his chief opponent is the present mayor Matti Herrera Bower who is 72 years old and has been mayor for 2 terms already. She’s got a lot to bring to the table, like her experience and grandmother credentials … sounds like she might take the votes, OR probably not.
I can sit here and bash them both, but sincerely, they both have great credentials, even Steve. Steve is a Yale graduate, believe it or not and has done a great deal for himself. He won two national tennis championships, was a contestant on the fox reality show “The Rebel Billionaire” and was able to successfully market and sell his own product (travel pillow) that he created on the show. He then became a comedian, and now he’s running for Mayor. YOU DECIDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment